Thursday 30 May 2013

'Jute Orbis' Fine Art Degree Show 2013

I'm both nervous and excited all at once, we have the preview night on Friday 31st May from 6pm til 9pm and then the exhibition is open for the public from 1st June til 11th June 2013!
I've been constantly crocheting twine domes and now the work is installed, I'm looking at it and honestly dont't know what reaction it will receive because I've just been staring at the things for 3 months! Good or not so good, the work is up and I'm feeling proud.

I've not really kept updated on my blog regarding my artwork, so here's an overview: Each piece is hand crocheted using jute (natural twine) as my material, into domes of varying sizes. When the individual pieces are placed together it creates a large ambiguous landscape. The main focus for myself is the idea of a single unit multiplied and the visual fascination with circles. For me, the work is about process and the therapeutic qualities from the mass repetition, however, I've had feedback from people saying what they see in the work. For example; limpets, human body parts, lichen, bacteria, underwater sea floor and a dome kingdom. I find it very interesting hearing what people think about my work.






No comments:

Post a Comment