Wednesday 25 July 2012

Made With Love




I recently finished making a slouchy beret. I learnt how to crochet that afternoon and by evening I was away! It was so much fun to make and very thereputic. I figured, why spend £15+ for a beautiful hat when you can buy some yarn (this ball cost £3.45) and learn something at the same time as owning a cheap awesome accessory!
I got the tutorial from youtube, a girl named Tracey Nguyen, who to me is an expert in crochet and all things DIY, here's the link to the video I used: 

It's perfect for beginners, just follow her steps and you'll have your own chunky beret in no time!
I must say, I was being hasty and just wanted to get started, so i used my only hook and my one ball of yarn and just got started, this meant that my beret isnt as chunky as it's supposed to be as my yarn was thinner than reccommended and also, i used my 4mm hook instead of 5.5mm which made the knit alot tighter. This meant that when i first finished the hat it was tiny! it only just fit my little brothers head, so i modified it. 
If you do the same as me and cant wait to get started, then before the video tells you to decrease, just add a couple more double crochet rows until you think it's big enough and then don't decrease as harshly as Tracey does (I decreased every other stitch instead of every three), to me, this just makes it look a little neater.



It fits perfect and looks amazing :) now I just need autumn to hurry up so I can wear it! (and the other's i'm sure I'll make in the mean time).

No comments:

Post a Comment